In the following sections of this pillar page, we will explore tips for conducting effective market research in the gaming industry and how to apply market research findings to drive success in game development and marketing strategies.
In the competitive world of gaming, market research plays a vital role in driving success. Game developers and publishers must understand the preferences and behaviours of their target audience to create successful games that resonate with them.
In this article, we’ll explore tips for conducting effective market research in the gaming industry and how to apply the findings to drive success in game development and marketing strategies.
The Role of Market Research in the Gaming Industry
Market research is essential in the gaming industry for understanding consumer behaviour and preferences, staying ahead of industry trends and competition, and making informed decisions about game design and marketing strategies. By conducting research, game developers and publishers can identify gaps in the market, identify what consumers want from games, and what factors influence their purchasing decisions.
Market research also helps game developers to stay ahead of industry trends and competition. By analysing the latest industry trends, companies can identify new opportunities for growth and innovation, and adapt their game development strategies to meet evolving consumer needs. In addition, market research enables game developers to make informed decisions about game design and marketing strategies, such as deciding on the best price point for a new game or selecting the most effective channels to promote a game launch.
Without a clear understanding of consumer behaviour and preferences, game developers risk producing games that fail to resonate with their target audience, resulting in lower engagement and decreased sales. By leveraging the insights gained from market research, game developers can create games that are more likely to succeed in the competitive gaming market.
Game developers and publishers therefore need to invest in effective market research strategies to gain a competitive advantage.
Tips for Effective Market Research in the Gaming Industry
To conduct effective market research in the gaming industry, it’s important to use a variety of insights and angles to build up the truest possible picture of your audience. Here are some tips:
- Define clear research objectives
- Identify target audience and where they hang out
- Set specific research goals
- Understand the objective of your research
- Be as specific as possible
- Use a combination of primary and secondary research methods
- Primary research methods: focus groups, surveys, and interviews
- Secondary research methods: industry reports, social media analytics, competitor analysis
- Choose the right methods depending on your goals and data needs
- Conduct focus groups and surveys to understand consumer behaviour
- Ask the right questions to gather actionable insights
- Create a comfortable environment for focus groups
- Recruit representative participants
- Keep surveys short and focused
- Analyse your competition
- Identify strengths, weaknesses, strategies and tactics of competitors
- Monitor industry trends and changes
- Monitor and review research results
- Evaluate the effectiveness of research methods
- Review research objectives
- Analyse findings to inform business decisions
By combining different research methods and applying a range of tactics, you can gain a more comprehensive understanding of your target audience, allowing you to make informed decisions about game design and marketing strategies.
How to Apply Market Research Findings to Drive Success
Insights are great, but they’re pointless unless you can use them to drive change and success.
Once market research is conducted, developers and publishers can use the findings to inform game design and development, marketing, and distribution strategies. Here are some actionable points/examples to help you use insights from market research:
- Identify gaps in the market: Market research can help you understand what your target audience wants and identify gaps in the market. For example, if your research shows that there is a demand for a certain type of game that is currently not available in the market, you can use this insight to create a new game that fulfils this demand.
- Understand your target audience: Market research can help you gain insights into your target audience's preferences, behaviours, and motivations. By understanding your target audience better, you can create games that resonate with them and tailor your marketing and distribution strategies to reach them effectively.
- Test game concepts and features: You can use market research to test your game concepts and features with your target audience before investing in development. This will help you to identify any potential issues or areas for improvement, ultimately resulting in a more successful game.
- Evaluate marketing and distribution strategies: Market research can also help you to evaluate your marketing and distribution strategies. By understanding how your target audience consumes media and makes purchasing decisions, you can create effective marketing and distribution strategies that reach them at the right time and place.
By utilising research findings effectively, you can identify and fill gaps in the market, create games that resonate with your target audience, and make informed decisions about marketing and distribution strategies.
Expert market insights from gaming experts
Market research is crucial in the gaming industry for staying ahead of the competition and creating successful games that resonate with the target audience. By applying research findings effectively, you can create games that meet consumer demand, ultimately driving success.
At Bryter, we collaborate with a diverse range of gaming audiences to understand their behaviours, motivations, needs, and experiences. This valuable insight assists video game developers in understanding the factors shaping and influencing gamer behaviour concerning what games they play, how and when they play, and what drives their purchasing behaviours.
Our expertise covers an extensive range of platforms and genres in the gaming industry, allowing us to offer our clients a comprehensive range of services. From initial concept testing and market sizing to playtesting and post-launch assessment, we combine our vast market knowledge and experience to provide insightful analyses of brand equity and player understanding.
To learn more about creating a market research plan that provides useful insights for your gaming project contact us to explore how we can assist you.